Sunday, May 11, 2008

Wally World Opened Last Week


Well, it's here--"super walmart". Apparently, the folks in Bentonville were not satisfied with the amount of money they were sucking out of the Grand Rapids economy, so they had to upsize. And judging by the crowded parking lots, Grand Rapidians were eager to help out.

The new walmart supposedly has everything under the sun for sale inside its monolithic temple to shopping. I cannot actually attest to this from first hand witness account, as I have been "walmart free since 2003". But a drive by glance of the exterior revealed a home and garden center, the regular walmart stuff, a liquor store, subway restaurant, grocery store and an automotive center.

I hope this does not bode poorly for the local businesses that survived the original onslaught from walmart. Can our small city support 4 large grocery stores (Cub, Ogles, Target and walmart)? Kmart seems to be just barely hanging on - I cannot believe they have lasted as long as they have in the face of walmart and Target expansions.

By now you can probably tell that I am not a big fan of walmart. Here are a couple of interesting links that help show how I formed my opinion about walmart:

No comments: